I was sitting in the hallway of a college science building this morning. As I was sitting there I noticed from the corner of my eye that someone had dropped these wipes on the floor as they had walked through. They weren't there when I sat down but appeared after some people had passed behind me.
After I noticed the wipes on the ground I watched over 20 different people walk through the hallway. I waited and hoped but was disappointed to see that none of them picked up the trash laying in their environment. I know they saw it because they made a point of walking around the wipes. But no one put them in the trash can that was less than 4 feet away.
This is what scares me about the people coming up behind me. Either it's a "class" thing where picking up trash from the ground is beneath them due to their caste/class in society, it's a obliviousness that they could help save the planet with one small act of picking up a couple of pieces of trash, or a callous "that's not my job" thing where they think it's someone else's responsibility to keep their environment clean.
I couldn't stand it any longer so I stopped what I was doing, got up and walked over there, picked up the wipes, and put them in the trash. All while others were blithely walking by. Though their blank expressions didn't make them seem very happy to me.